Sunday, June 24, 2007

Nature's Call

This afternoon I got back from a very relaxing Midsummer break in a Finnish countryside idyll, where I spent the weekend with my friends E and O at the latter's family cottage. Good food and much beverage was consumed by all; we sat in the porch all day reading detective novels and generally soaking up the lazy Midsummer atmosphere.

O's cottage is wonderful: walls of old logs, low ceilings, mice, the real deal. There are only three drawbacks: no lake, no electricity and no running water (= outdoor loo). For men, having a toilet that flushes perhaps isn't such a big deal – after all, most of the time you don't need to sit down. E, on the other hand, bemoaned the fact that she had to squat ungraciously and uncomfortably every time nature called. À propos this very subject, our translator colleague L last week edified us about women's britches in the 19th century, which had a flap in the middle for easy access and the use of stand-up female urinals. A quick look on Google reveals a few very interesting articles on the subject, notably this one.

Now, however, it looks as though women's days of squatting in the bushes are over. While reading an interview with our favourite author Sarah Waters, we came across the following marvellous link. What I like most about this are the blurbs, the photographs and, above all, the name. Why would a woman running along a sand dune be carrying such a thing – in her handbag? Oh well, going to the summer cottage will never be the same again...

2 comments:

Sean said...

The article on women's urinals was great. I just wish the author would update the link to Denise's Mailbox, or that he had provided more of an idea of what a woman has to DO in order to pee standing up. Although I'm not sure why suddenly I have the burning need to know this.

DavidH said...

Yes, it is rather a good article, though the constant spelling mistakes, punctuation abuse and typos are annoying. The link to restrooms.org didn't shed much new light on the subject, either.

I know, why do we need to know this? When I stumbled across the link to the Shewee (what a *name*!), I knew I had to post something about it :-)